Music Banter - View Single Post - Oh yay, another political thread! (Prop 8, gay marriage stuff)
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #339 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAlejo View Post
And why is it equal if homosexuals are allowed to marry who they wish but a polygamist wouldn't be able to [which in this case would obviously be multiple people]? If we don't allow it, aren't we willingly discriminating against polygamy? There are no consent or medical reasons for it being illegal, just some sort of religious dogma. I have no idea how you can say that equality should apply to homosexuals and not polygamists.

I'm not equating the ethics and biology of the two of them at all, I'm equating their status under the law. He stated that it is fine to not have polygamy because it is equal under the law in the sense that no one else is allowed to do it. If that's the case, the same argument can be made for homosexuals in that no one is allowed to marry someone of the same sex under the law. Ta da, equal.

And I'd be very careful with how you define a "biological condition"...what exactly is the sex drive?
I agree that if homosexuals are allowed to marry, polygamists at least deserve to have their case reexamined. But one of the reasons why it's not very likely that polygamist marriages will become legal in the near future is that it creates a world of social and legal problems (like for instance, if one of the parties to a polygamist marriage dies, there would be a problem regarding inheritance, if they become incapacitated, there are issues as to which of the other spouses would be able to make medical or other decisions for them etc.) and changes the institution of marriage for everyone, unlike granting same-sex couples the right to marry which doesn't.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote