Music Banter - View Single Post - Think about this
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Yeah, google has almost become our backup brain, our external hard drive if you will.

I mean it's helpful and wonderful and all, but a lot of people will start to rely on the internet more and more, to look up anything they wont bother to actually learn about. And thus they don't have to try too hard to remember things. To learn things in a more specific way and not just quote what you read.
Last wednesday I watched a film at the MFA on Child Advertising and how its effects (read: corrupts) children. They made a point to say that "you can't just pick up a stick and pretend its a wand anymore, you need the Disney version Harry potter wand" and that because of this, children can't even play any longer, they just reenact what they've seen on television and in movies.

I think Boo Boo and the rest are making the same point (in a general sense) about adults here.

But still I'm hesitant to believe that humans are so easy to silence. There will always be something uniquely human about them, and to reference the set-up in CA's first post in here, The race wouldn't have dragged themselves out of the mud if not for the ability to percieve things in different and often perverted ways.

If anything i'd say that this is a set back, a new stumbling block we must mutate and adapt to. In the end, my faith with us is persistant.