Music Banter - View Single Post - Comus says: Be a Gentle Giant for Seven Days!
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

It's tough getting people to listen to stuff when it's not already on their agenda, though. I assume many of us feel like there aren't enough hours in a day to listen to all the stuff we intend to listen to that day. So it's hard to squeeze in new recommendations and such. I find that things I discover on my own get played much more quickly than stuff recommended by others...unless I really connect with that recommendation. So...that might be why. People who aren't familiar with GG may work their way through this in a few months, as you say. And GG is definitely an acquired taste. For me, I was already familiar with 3-4 of the albums and curious about the others...I think what made me go for it was a comment about the debut being more bluesy and I guess straight-forward compared to the ones I'd heard, so it piqued my interest. After playing it, I was pleasantly surprised so I kept on going. To be honest I feel now that I like the earlier stuff better than Octopus. I think it's the vocals that always bothered me with that album and forward, they seem less...I don't know...annoying on the early stuff. Regardless, I've gotten use to them but really didn't like them when I first heard GG.