Music Banter - View Single Post - Joy Division
Thread: Joy Division
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #116 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_nothing View Post
I think if Ian lived they still would of gone onto make electronic music because Ian had very little to do with the musical aspect of the band, so Im sure they wouldve been pretty much the same just with better lyrics. Also I'd wouldve loved to see Ian dance to Blue Monday.
But on the other hand there are several reasons why New Order went down the electronic road. One was Bernard Sumner's reluctance at the beginning to become a fully fledged 'rock' frontman, making the band more along the lines of someone like Kraftwerk where basically the band members shared equal billing.

Secondly he had Gillian Gilbert, his partner in the band. With those two together it meant they could more likely steer the band in the direction they wanted.

And thirdly they were openly looking for New Order to be something different from Joy Division. The stuff they'd written for Joy Divisions 3rd album was scrapped and the stuff that would become New Order's first album still sounded like Joy Division with Sumner singing it anyway.... and it flopped.

With all those things affecting the music and making it change i'm not so sure Joy Division would have gone in that direction had they stayed together.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote