Music Banter - View Single Post - Think about this
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Bane of your existence
Such That

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i personally believe that we (mankind) are currently drifting aimlessly, clinging to a past that has an aura of meaning to avoid a present that has none. instead of creating a world of new ideas and values, which we are obviously capable of, we step aside and let capital take control, we create new markets to construct dream worlds we can hide away in, we create an entire industry whose sole purpose is to convince us to buy useless things, we create a socio-economic order to convince us to work useless jobs. just think of how many people slave away only to make companies more efficient, or the sheer quantity of useless 'status symbol' objects people surround themselves with. the whole point of modernism, of the 20th century, was to free us, to help us realize that beauty is arbitrary, that truth is constructed. for some reason this freedom terrifies us. if the world could stop clinging to its religions, its customs, its prejudices... we are all united by our desire to live and love, not to mention our biological imperatives. humanity has great potential, but i don't know if we'll ever realize it.
You don't think that going to a state where we are more than consumers in an economy would be a step backwards? I think the wavering towards the past is a byproduct of everything moving towards meaninglessness. What I mean is, I don't think it's negative to use the past as a model, when it's all we really have. It's not like everyone thinking that way is some traditionalist or luddite just stuck in the past for past ideal's sake.
Bane of your existence is offline   Reply With Quote