Music Banter - View Single Post - Most infuriating music fans: Boobs edition
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
asshat
king of sex

In response to the "indie kids"...there are a lot of arseholes, but there are the kids that are genuinely interested in different and challenging music.

As far as the isolationism....I don't see anything wrong about wanting to be an active participant in a music scene...putting on your own shows, knowing your favourite bands on a first name basis, etc.....as far as the term "indie" goes, it's more of a convienient term to describe people that do those things.

The ideal indie scene would be for losers, nerds, weirdos, drug addicts and ****-ups....not just upper middle class college kids who want to be like the former. My friends don't fit the latter description.

I like a lot of harsh, agressive ,and challenging, noisy, atonal music....it's not because I wanna be different, I just enjoy this music.

I don't find bands like the shins to be all that special, in fact they're mediocre college rock...so I wasn't surprised that they'd put their music in that movie. In fact I hate similar bands that are still on independent labels.(beat happening,!!!, arcade fire, etc.)....you can have radiohead and wilco too.

I can understand the impression that you get from pitchforkmedia and vice magazine is particularly nasty....they make me hate the upper middle class more than certain music fans though.

....and steve albini is my idol...he's actually wholeheardetly opposed to a lot of indie b.s.(not so much as a business model, but the middle class appropriation of it)