Music Banter - View Single Post - Antonio's album reviews
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 04:37 AM   #78 (permalink)
Antonio
VICTORY SCREEEEEEECH

Default Green Day-Nimrod

Release Date: October 14, 1997
Label: Reprise

man it's been a while since i've done one of these, but hey, the show must go on.........

Nimrod is the fifth album released by Green Day and the second album after their seminal release, Dookie. By this point they're pretty well positioned in popular music, but not too much that they'd recycle old sounds and styles completely. Now, there are two reasons that i chose to do this. One, I felt that this was a time when Green Day sound was evolving, breaking out of the pop punk barriers and encompassing new instruments and sounds into their music. Listening to this, you get random doses of fast paced punk, slower paced pop, and even ska at one point. sure, not exactly leaps and bounds, but for these guys, it's quite the change.

The only problem i have with this cd is the lack of bass prescence. Now Mike Dirnt's got the goods, but he's not using them enough. ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu >_<......

but yeah, in all i give this cd a 9/10, definately a milestone for Green Day and quite the listen, although don't expect Dookie II or something.

Nice Guys Finish Last-This was actually the first time i'd ever heard these guys. i remember it being 6:30 in the morning and i was about 7 years old, and just got out of bed to watch TV, and the vid for this song was on. Needless to say, things changed for me that day. A real good song by the band, but just the tip of the iceberg for what's to come.

Hitchin' a Ride-a bleeding heart violin opens up the song, which is real wandering in an alley kind of song, with sleaze and temptation at every corner. in the middle, everything goes silent before coming in and tearing up the joint. it's a bit short, but definately memorable.

The Grouch-I love how Billie Joe says "Now i'm just another sh*tty old man", in this song about growing old and just realizing it. i feel a bit of sadness tied in with this song, possibly because the person in the song misses all the crap he used to be able to do. growing old sucks :/

Redundant-this song makes me think of a high school band during the 80's at the prom, playing the obligatory slow song. Billie Joe wrote this about his marriage, which had become troubled at the time, and him reflecting on the relationship from his love for his wife and the then stagnant pattern the relationship was in. so yeah, touchy feely sh*t.

Scattered-This kicks in in a mix of pop and punk where Billie and Mike pretty much do a duet, singing in unison for almost the entire song.

All the Time-The riff here gets a bit mechanic, like the hands of a clock and the 9-5 drudgery in this song about not having enough time. short and sweet

Worry Rock-This sounds more pop rock than punk, especially at one part where it uses some "sweet chords"(once again musicians would know). but yeah good song

Platypus (I Hate You)-F*CK YEAH, SOME PUNK NOW!! it blasts in from the beginning and kicks you out of your seat. proof that these guys didn't forget where they came from.

Uptight-this makes me think of the song "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins, mainly because of the riff. yeah, maybe a bit of a ripoff, but i don't care. even when it kicks in, it seems like it's staying the course.

Last Ride In-a gas station in the middle of desert instrumental(yeah, surprising, right?). i really enjoy the guitar here and a soft trumpet makes an appeareance. if i heard this anywhere else, i wouldn't think it was them, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, seeing as their trying new things with their music. in all a pleasant listen.

Jinx-kicks in after the last song, but not too much to knock you out of your shoes. really a Green Day type of song.

Haushinka-The last song segues into this, reminiscent of something by Husker Du, one of their biggest influences. i think the title of the song may be the name of the girl described in this song, or maybe not, i'm not really sure. overall a damn good song

Walking Alone-harmonica? in my Green Day song? It's more likely than you think. this is one of the more popish songs, reminiscent of some oldschool Classic Rock, like Bob Dylan. yeah i just compared Green Day to Bob Dylan, what are you gonna do about it?

Reject-sort of a mix of punk and pop, but not technically pop punk. in the middle, i'm actually hearing some bass, yay .

Take Back-punk, but not completely Green Day kind of punk. in the middle, Billie Joe releases a bit of demonic vocals, surprising.

King for a Day-yea, remember how i said they had a touch of ska at one point? yeah, well here it is. a Dixieland style brass section really leads this song. tbh, my favorite song on the cd. what makes it a bit more interesting is that it's about being a crossdresser. makes you wonder what the guys do on those long lonely tour bus trips.......

Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)-ah, the infamous Green Day ballad. you've all heard it, and secretly love it. i find it a bit funny that people call American Idiot "the band selling out", when a few years ago they said the same to this song. and years before that when they broke out with Dookie, their hXc punk fans at 924 Gilman St said the same. take a minute and think about that, ok?

Prosthetic Head-eh, this shouldn't have been the ender. it's a very good song, mind you, but i think it should have been before Good Riddance, or somewhere near the end. other than that, it's a good song, especially when the two part harmony kicks in

My MB Journal-I talk about music and stuff!

add me on Steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/commandercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave
isn't this one of the main reasons for this entire site?

what's next? a thread made specifically to banter about music?

Last edited by Antonio; 06-10-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote