Music Banter - View Single Post - Any opinions on Judaism
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 03:32 AM   #57 (permalink)
Hesher
Palm Muted

If you'd ever been to a Bris I think you'd have trouble classifying it as abuse or mutilation. I think it's a wonderful ceremony that is rich with cultural tradition and doesn't really have any downsides. Honestly I haven't thought hard about it. Who cares? Especially if you haven't had one. I don't know. I have trouble imagining how it could be considered cruel, since it's pretty benign and the practitioner is licensed. At the same time this sounds silly coming out of my mouth. I think it's a non-issue.

Aside from circumcision... Judaism is pretty interesting as a religion. I went to Jewish elementary and high school, so I have a relatively in-depth background culturally as well as academically. I will say that I am a definite atheist, I don't believe in God anymore than I believe in little fairies or unicorns, but I think Judaism and most religions have important cultural value. I can find personal meaning in holidays without the "god element".

If anyone has any questions about a specific holiday or anything in the context of Judaism fire away... You can probably consider me an expert in terms of this forum.
Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote