Music Banter - View Single Post - Ashes to Ashes: A reintroduction to my personal music library
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #62 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Way To Normal

Album #22: Way To Normal (2008)
Ben Folds
Genre: Alternative Rock
Dedicated to MB Member: Sleepy Jack

1. "Hiroshima (B B B Benny Hit His Head)"
2. "Dr. Yang"
3. "The Frown Song"
4. "You Don't Know Me (feat. Regina Spektor)"
5. "Before Cologne"
6. "Cologne"
7. "Errant Dog"
8. "Free Coffee"
9. "Bitch Went Nuts"
10. "Brainwascht"
11. "Effington"
12. "Kylie From Connecticut"

What turns out to be one the best albums I bought in 2008 took me until the calendar year of 2009 to appreciate. At first this audible assembly of upbeat ballads and swift stepping symphonies reads as a collection of hits and misses by eventually settled into to me as a solid and complete album. Elements of humor and poignancy, staples of any Ben Folds record are layered within as usual, this one taking a more optimistic and enthusiastic approach overall. I’m still waiting to find a Ben Folds album I don’t like, so saying that this might have risen to the rank of my overall favorite is high praise.
This album opens with “Hiroshima” as Ben Folds share a humorous anecdote about falling of the stage in Japan during a tour before the albums release. As usual it folds trenchant piano playing and inscrutable lyrical delivery taking center stage and right out of the shoot Folds shows his musical aptitude with a brilliant bridge portion of the song bringing it to a final choral climax. The energy continues through two very fast and friendly numbers followed by the albums most immediate standout. “You Don’t Know Me” featuring the lovely Regina Spektor is a fantastic duet that is a fun as it is charming. “Cologne” is next and was good enough to get its own intro track and is the first one to real pull at your emotions. Ben Folds does this like few modern artists. The album does not have the same grab in the second half that the beginning does, but upon further review I’ve found a number of interesting, individual songs including a personal favorite “Free Coffee” which lyrically I can’t decide to take serious or laugh out loud at. A few more energetic numbers including the sure to please “Bitch Went Nuts” before concluding with the possibly foreshadowing finale and it’s more amorous melody.
With Ben Folds even the songs that don’t speak to you are hard not to enjoy. There is a musical quality that transcends accessibility; it’s not just that it’s easy it’s appealing. It’s his ability to mix levity and humility with pure unbridled emotion. A Captivating talent both vocally and on the instrumentally; in addition to tickling the Ivory Ben took on the synthesizer and mellotron for this album. Folds conducts himself as if he’s doing exactly what he wants musically and if he’s that smart there is no telling what we might see down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote