Music Banter - View Single Post - Silversun Pickups
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #75 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
good indie rock, awesome drummer ( completely subjective, but his style suits me incredibly..i swear, asians are the best drummers! the von bondies, bloc party...awesome! )...regretfully, the lead singer only uses Dave Grohl-type screaming in one song, even though almost every song begs for it...the guitars and bass sourta sound grunge-like..anyways, check it out and report back here...

silversun pickups on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
I recently downloaded the album and it on my must listen list along with a tidal wave of new releases by Bird and the Bee, the Bad Plus, Finale, Isis, MIDIval PunditZ, Passion Pit, Bat For Lashes, Metric, Animal Collective, Phoenix, School of Seven Bells and a half dozen other new albums that I've purchased but I'm not quite up to speed on because of lack of listening time.

I quened up my digital copy of the Silversun Pickups album to get quick and dirty second listen, last night. Silversun sounds like more of a dream pop guitar band in the manner of My Bloody Valentine than a textbook grunge.

At first, I had a hard time figuring out the gender of the singer. There is a female in the band but she plays bass and doesn't sing.

The Silversuns aren't afraid to use state of the art studio techniques that give them an polished, expansive and hypnotic sound. By the way, their first album Canavas (2006) has a higher rating by the critics at AMG than the current release Swoon. I've read that the Silversun Pickups have a very large following in the hometown of LA.

The spring/summer release season has been a cornicopia of unexpected and exotic delights for fans of indie and electronica music. I probably won't catch up with most of the new spring/summer music releases until the frost is on the pumpkin. It's a good problem to have, because the major labels of corporate rock are melting down financially while the indie labels are turning a modest profit by patiently developing a whole new crop of great bands who will be around long after shelf date expires on the can of Black Eyed Peas.