Music Banter - View Single Post - The Quiet Man in the Corner
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
CanwllCorfe
Quiet Man in the Corner

I know it makes me a sad, sad panda But thanks for the complement! I'll keep it up. It is my duty as an electronic music lover haha

Now for something kinda different albeit fantastic!

Electronica:

B. Fleischmann - The Humbucking Coil
Label : Morr Music
Release : February 10th, 2006
Songs : Broken Monitors, Gain, Composure, First Times, Phones & Machines, Static Grate, From To, Aldebaran Waltz

What an album. This really showed me something I'd never heard before. I found Gain completely on accident.. to tell you the truth I don't even remember how. When I heard it I knew I wanted it and well.. I got it! I adore it so much but I read all kinds of reviews on it and I get such different feelings than what these people describe. They say it's kind of downtempo, laid back, and whatnot. To me almost every song sounds extremely emotional and heartfelt. I don't know if it's just me.. but that's what I get. Especially from Gain and Static Grate.

01) Broken Monitors : Now this song is downtempo. I love the chilled piano and drums mixed with all the subtle melodies that make it feel so full and dynamic but accessible at the same time. Having said that, it's one of my lesser liked songs from the album.. but still enjoyable from time to time 07/10

02) Gain : The song that made me get the album in the first place! When I first saw the video on youtube it only had 6,000 views which instantly made me interested. I'm always drawn to songs with the least amount of views.. because I'm so Alt. I digress.. this song to me is far from downtempo music. It just sounds so depressing and dreary.. but I think it also may just mold to however you're feeling at the time. Fantastic song : 9/10

03) Composure : For some reason this makes me think of the airport. I wish I knew why but it does. It just has the calm feel with an underlying feeling of urgency or eagerness.. which is what I have before a flight. Not that I'm scared of flying but more that I can't wait to get wherever it is that I'm going.. usually Florida. It's a really lovely song though and it makes me think of the late afternoon when nothing is too bad or too good, you're just content. 8/10

04) First Times : This is unfortunately not my kinda thing. It's a bit monotoned and repetitive for my liking. The really loud and brash synth he uses doesn't help either. At a few points I enjoy it but from beginning to end it's just not for me. 6/10

05) Phones and Machines : Yet another gorgeous and simple song that does wonders for me. It's so simple with that weird and quirky clanging and guitar melody mixed with the piano it's just fantastic. It's one of those songs that's perfect for just playing in the background that's really devoid of any succinct emotion.. it's just music. 8+/10

06) Static Grate : To me.. this is one of the saddest songs on the whole album. It just has this really slow, dreary and rundown feeling. Just completely helpless and then it just gets sadder when he adds piano into this song as well. To me it's the soundtrack to a day or week or month that just didn't go right. It may be a tad lugubrious but when I first heard this album I was unhealthily obsessed with depressing music. Not like.. commercial emo or something but stuff like this and Xasthur and Amesoeurs and other things of that sort. I don't know why.. I still don't.. but I was. 9+/10

07) From To : This song is a bit.. I don't know. I saw the video and it just reminded me of indie music that was too indie. Just like it was trying too hard or something.. it's difficult to explain. Like it's just Electro Indie Pop with lyrics about birds.. it just seemed too familiar. 6/10

08) Aldebaran Waltz : Yet another song that at least I think sounds sad. The pauses he does sound and work so well. It reminds me of a job I came home from up in a place called Greentown. It's home to the highest point in the Poconos and every time we were there it'd be freezing and/or snowing. It was so miserable and the one time we get a day done, this is the song I listen to. It does sound sad.. but it also sounds somewhat hopeful. One of my favorite tracks from the album 8+/10

This version isn't the one off of this album but a vocal mix for his newest release "Angst is not a Weltanschauung" :

Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 07-29-2009 at 08:22 AM.
CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote