Music Banter - View Single Post - The Quiet Man in the Corner
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Zarko
Barely Disheveled Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
Sorry! I've been busy. I'll update with something amazing

Dubstep:

Burial - Untrue
Label : Hyperdub
Release : November 5th, 2007
Songs : Untitled, Archangel, Near Dark, Ghost Hardware, Endorphin, Etched Headplate, In McDonalds, Untrue, Shell Of Light, Dog Shelter, Homeless, UK

What an amazing.. and somewhat unusual album. Not necessarily unusual but it's unlike anything I've ever heard. After I'd bought it and listened.. I tried other Dubstep on for size but nothing else is like it. It's melodic, haunting, beautiful, progressive, and just unforgettable. After I had heard Archangel on Youtube, I knew he was something else. I bought this CD the instant I had saw it at my FYE. I've never done that.. ever. I listened to it from beginning to end and intently.. which is also something I never do. I usually pop it into the CD player and let it play while I'm doing whatever but I just layed down on my bed and listened to the whole thing. Song to song and I was just so happy I had this in my possession. I almost always end up liking a CD for a day or two.. and then never listen to it again. This was just so different and amazing and universal for however I was feeling and whenever I was listening to it. It was just a soundtrack to any and every day. I cannot wait for his next album. I don't know if he plans on making any but I know he's doing a lot of remixes. He's an amazing artist and you need to look him up

01) Untitled : Well.. it's more or less an intro but like his other music it's so obscure and just works.
02) Archangel : One of my favorites from the album.. but also one of the most accessible. This one was different, at least to me, from the rest of the songs. It made me think of a rainy night in the city.. just very dark and haunting. 9+/10
03) Near Dark : This one is really quite beautiful to me, although the lyrics seem a tad freaky "I can't take my eyes off you". 8/10
04) Ghost Hardware : One of the real beauties on the release. Superb oneiric vocals mixed with a really simple bass melody and a rather catchy drum beat. 9+/10
05) Endorphin : The first of 4 songs that don't have any percussion (excluding the intro). With vocals and pads this beautiful I think they'd ruin it anyway. 9/10
06) Etched Headplate : This one is quite good.. but may be a bit too accessible for me. It's nice and the vocals are really catchy and work too well but I enjoy his heavy doses of obscurity and this one seems too out in the open.. if you will. I quite like the violin-esque sample he adds every now and then.. and that weird deep bellowing almost demonic sounding laughter (at least what it sounds like [3:07, 3:22, 5:12]). Quite ironic since he's sampling a song called Angel. 7/10
07) In McDonald's : The second of the four mentioned earlier.. and even more beautiful. How ironic, considering the song title. It reminds me of the countless days of going there for early breakfast with my dad. It just has that really slow, bright feeling. 8+/10
08) Untrue : The title song.. and also the longest! This one may be a bit too progressive for me.. I like the vocals and the drum beat and the subtle melodies and whatnot. It just seems like it takes longer to build dynamic than the other songs.. but still fantastic nonetheless. 8/10
09) Shell of Light : Unfortunately.. ever since I heard the last minute and a half of this song I rarely listen to the first 3. The video on youtube has quite a few comments saying things like "it should be in its own song" and such.. and I completely agree. It's probably the most heartwrenching and beautiful section of any song in the whole album. "God, could you whisper in her ear that I wasn't sure we could be friends" 9+/10
10) Dog Shelter : It starts out sounding rather dark.. but changes to something a bit lighter. It probably has my favorite melody out of any other song. It just flows so nicely and just has something about it.. it's hard to explain. As is most of his music and style and sound in general 8/10
11) Homeless : Yet another ironic title for the way the song sounds. It seems like it would be sad.. at least somewhat or hopeless or something of the like. I can't quite figure out who he samples but I know it's from the song "Who's Loving You". It always sounded to me like a lot of people singing at once and sounded almost tropical or something.. I'm not quite sure why. Regardless, another amazing song. 8+/10
12) UK : This.. to me is another early morning song. It's a really simple beautiful melody mixed with subtle vocal samples. Very simple in it's construction but it just works so well 9/10
13) Raver : Unlike most of the other songs this song has a straight drum pattern of bass, snare, bass, snare, etc. I'm pretty sure there's probably a name for it but I have no clue what it is. This song.. I'm not too fond of. It just sounds too far off of the stuff that I love to hear from him. A bit too fast.. or rushed.. or something of the like. I think it is his choice of drum melody.. but oh well.. it's his music! He can do what he'd like 6+/10

I was 'lucky' enough to discover this on my computer recently, must have downloaded it months ago without giving it a try. Ridiculously top album

Keep up the gw. Our tastes don't match up exactly, but for the most part I am liking what I am seeing.
Zarko is offline   Reply With Quote