Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #70 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
The blatant activism in the lyrics rub me the wrong way. It's almost as if you're trying to say "LOOK AT ME I CARE ABOUT STUFF MORE THAN YOU!" Bono already did it in a less obnoxious fashion.
Hi, Unfan!
I didn't know if I'd see you again after our meeting in my introduction thread. Thanks for stopping by and reading some of my lyrics. (Did you see your avatar made it into my song, "Avatar," by the way?)

I agree with part of what you say, because it is true that, especially with the vegetarian lyrics, I probably *do* care about not eating animals more than people who are omnivorous.

Also, I agree with you that I am not trying to be subtle at all in my activism. I *am* writing blatant activism songs and doing so intentionally. This doesn't necessarily mean that the songs will work as activism songs...that is, they may not convert anyone, and they may turn people off (such as you)...but the songs really do express how I feel, such as with the song "Wring." Having seen people cutting off the heads of chickens when I was little, I really did realize at an early age that humans are only sweet, loving, and friendly to those whom they care about, and they are violent predators toward those about whom they have no feelings.

So, Unfan, here's where you can help me, if you want to: let's say you were open to having someone sing you a song to try to get you to reduce your consumption of animals. What would the lyrical content be like to make the song subtle enough to not result in you feeling the activism is blatant and thus obnoxious? I will have to try to write a subtle vegetarian song for you!

--Erica
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote