Music Banter - View Single Post - Electric Guitar 101
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
million dollar basher
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i hear ya MDB, and i've heard great things about the modern epiphone LPs, heck i still enjoy my epi special II every now and again. if i wanted the look of a classic LP i'd definitely consider an epi as well, but i wouldn't be telling anyone i played a les paul. you're right as well when you say they can still be compared but ultimately, whether you like it or not, there's a status symbol factor as well.

a les paul is not an entry level guitar, it's not made for beginners. personally if i see someone playing any sort of gibson or other high end gear i expect them to know their stuff because of the time and effort invested into becoming a musician of that caliber. unfortunately that isn't the case as much anymore with more and more spoiled idiots thinking they need pro gear to be good (but it's great for people keeping an eye on the 2nd hand market).

as for people spending serious cash and not really knowing what to expect, i point you back to the start of this thread, the OP never flat out said it but i'd bet my strat that was the situation.

No you're right. There's definitely a class issue present when selecting a guitar. I remember when I was a kid and my dad offered to buy me a pretty nice Epi SG and I told him I'd rather save for a Gibson. I guarantee now that if I'd listened to both guitars through the same amp, I wouldn't have been able to tell you the difference. Not because they're the same guitar, but because I was young and inexperienced. I was more concerned about having "Gibson" on the headstock, which is really a foolish way to go about it.

I mean, I love Reverend guitars, but I never really considered buying one until I saw Billy Corgan playing one.

But yeah, I see people do it every day. I've had to literally hijack sales from people working the floor at GuitarCenter because I knew they were playing the class game with kids, trying to rip them off.

For instance, I saw a salesman try to sell a kid on a Taylor. Even low-end Taylors are expensive anymore, and the kid just wanted a decent starter guitar that would last him for a few years. I pointed out to him that a local shop was selling Seagul guitars and that they had a great sound to them, even for experienced players, and that he would be well advised to check them out before handing the guy his cash. The kid was way more concerned about having that "Taylor" name and forked over the money. I played the same guitar later that week and I still maintain that he was better off going for the Seagul.

But don't get me wrong....I'd go for a good ol' fashioned Gretsch White Falcon before I bought an Ibanez Hollow-body. ; )
million dollar basher is offline   Reply With Quote