Music Banter - View Single Post - Slowly Goes The Night
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #121 (permalink)
Zarko
Barely Disheveled Zombie

2009 - Korai Öröm (2009)

GENRES – Rock, Folk

Tracks
Új Arab – 7:38
Tizenkettő negyed – 5:16
Kínai – 7:28
Úszós – 11:17
Mbira – 1:57
A Paraszt visszavág – 5:37
Szubarú – 0:59
Latin – 5:07
Akusztikus – 3:27

Been pretty sick recently so this will be a pretty meh review… I’ve had a small break, purely because I felt like it (with nothing of interest to review) until I came upon this little Hungarian number. By the description given, it was easy to interpret that it would be interesting at least… I had no idea whether good or bad, but interesting none the less. The LastFM biography describes their style as:

Style/Genre (as per the media): ambient, urban folk, earth psychedelics, action-music, the folk music of non-existing folks.
Style/Genre (as per the band): world music, ethno-metal-trance

After giving it a spin, I found it to be a supremely interesting blend of psychedelic rock with a whole lot of random folkish percussion, though not like anything I had really experienced on such a level before. The music ranges from heavy-ish space psychedelic to down to earth dark wave-ish moments, initially reminding me heavily of Dead Can Dance in Uj Arab, the opening song. I think it’s fair to say its nothing like anything you’ve experienced before. Also of interest is that their concerts are normally in obscure places, such as around swimming pools.

Új Arab kicks the album off with an assortment of percussion instruments creating a weird and wonderful world, with the main focus on a female vocalist singing in an indecipherable language (To most English speakers I presume). A guitar accompanies, following an electric-ethno beat, reminding me of the previously mentioned DCD. The guitar and drumming picks up to firm the song in a world/folk rock tune. The assortment of sounds and instrumentation used is what really gives the songs a kick, rather than sounding like generic folk/psych rock. Although the rock aspects aren’t particularly stunning, it’s the final product and production that makes it different, and as the song progresses, the psyched out sounds and stylings are evolved to another level.

Tizenkettő negyed goes straight for the rock factor, introduced with a slow picking riff before others join the party. For the most part, early in the song the only ‘weirdness’ is through a springish sound, almost as if it comes from a sanza of some sort. It is another fairly basic beat, but it’s solid nonetheless. Also, in both songs so far there has been a strong electronic influence later in the tracks, wether it is from a keyboard/electric organ or synth. It simply adds another level of interest in my opinion.

Kínai follows a spacey beat from the get go, more ambient and sparse than the previous tracks. It is a nice chilled tune that does change styles a bit, breaking out from ambience to harder riffs that dominate the soundscape, before moving into a proggier funky foundation. At near 12 minutes in length, Úszós is the longest track on the album, opening with some fantastic vocals before tripping out for 9 minutes. Mbira follows it up at only 2 minutes (Though not the shortest track on the album surprisingly), a lofi almost children’s tune, light xylophone work with flutes, behind a feather light veil of cheap static. Paraszt is perhaps the weirdest of the lot. It begins with a pretty basic and funky tune with some odd ‘hooting’ from the group before some bizarre vocals kick in, almost poetry, interspliced with other vocals, before it becomes an almost dance-rock psychedelic track. I don’t really understand why they would put in the horse neighs, but whatever floats their boat.

Szubarú is the shortest track on the album, at only 59 seconds, primarily a vocal track. Latin adds a bit of flair to the proceedings, as you can expect it to given the name, carrying a more distinct latin beat. It’s probably my favourite track due to the combination of sounds and style without taking away too many oddities (The attempted flute playing is pretty funny). The album ends with Akusztikus, a reflective, acoustic song in the rain, a nice way to end the album.

This is no doubt an album that is worth a listen simply due to the oddities that can be found within. If I were to chuck it down in any genre it would pretty clearly be progressive rock/folk, but don’t let that detract you . Again, sorry for the short review, but its just one of those days… Something is better than nothing though ey?

TOTAL SCORE

6.8/10

- Latin
- Tizenkettő negyed
- A Paraszt visszavág

If anyone likes anything enough for a link from the last compilation, just PM.

Last edited by Zarko; 08-05-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Zarko is offline   Reply With Quote