Music Banter - View Single Post - Which country (within the Anglosphere) makes the best music?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #175 (permalink)
dollarsandcents
more tea vicar?

I think it's pretty close between the US and UK. Definitely positives on both sides and it should really only seriously be contested between these two forces I think. I was left contemplating a huge history of rock and electronic music in the UK against a great history of songwriters and pretty much the whole history of jazz and hip hop stateside.

I decided to use my last.fm top 50 artists to decide, and it came out with 20-17 to the USA, which surprised me somewhat. So much so that I went against it and voted for the UK mainly on my infatuation with Radiohead, although looking back I really can't decide. I think it really would depend upon how I was feeling on the day.

I think if you included Europe excluding the UK it would become more competitive, although I'm not sure how well those countries would take being lumped together. You'd have the great plethora of music in Iceland, the German electronic and house scene, some great music is produced in Scandinavia recently and there's a good history in Ireland and France also.
dollarsandcents is offline   Reply With Quote