Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #92 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshat View Post
I'm not all that well versed in any kind of poetry analysis, but I'll give you a half-assed critique.....you're a good writer and can express yourself clearly...I'm just not a vegetarian, so I don't feel all that emotional when I read the song lyrics. I also have a short attention span...and I can't read very long song lyrics.

I read "dichotomy" for the most part.I think if you want to speak out to other vegetarians you're doing just fine...if you want to convert the meat eaters it would be good skim the lyrics way back...maybe something short and catchy.

....also expand your pallette, there's other things besides veganism to sing about.
Hi, asshat,
Thanks for your suggestions. I agree with you. "Dichotomy" was a song I wrote for my own tastes (and I like long, narrative songs) and is very long. If I want to reach others (especially non-vegetarians) I should do what you suggest: make songs short and catchy. Also, I need to try to find a way to make the song topic emotionally compelling to someone who normally has no emotional feelings toward non-human animals.

I appreciate you looking at what my song goals are (converting meat eaters, for example), and making suggestions to help me meet my goals, even though they aren't your goals. In other words, I appreciate you stepping out of yourself for my sake. Thank you.

Hey! I see in your songwriting collection that you are writing about meat, too! Excellent! The more debate, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
I find it funny that anyone would stick up for PETA's tactics when they kill roughly 90% of the animals they recieve.
Scans of PETA's reports, which are open for public.
Hi, Unfan,
I was not agreeing or disagreeing with PETA's ad campaigns, but rather simply explaining for Conan that PETA says it creates controversial ad campaigns because then the news agencies cover the campaigns for free, reducing the money PETA has to spend. Given that PETA has limited funds, this is one way to get free press.

Shelters: PETA explains that the PETA shelter you mention takes in mostly abandoned animals who are diseased, severely injured, or dangerous (as well as many animals who are sterilized for the owner at little or no charge to try to combat the huge unwanted pet-animal overpopulation problem); in other words, the shelter is not primarily an adoption center. If you want to learn my opinions about PETA, please PM me and I'll be happy to discuss them with you. There's also a good Wikipedia article about PETA. Say, I see that you appear to dislike what you view as hypocrisy! I dislike hyprocrisy, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Birds View Post
i think the song "Africa" was about human rights.
Yes, you are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktarist View Post
@VEGANGELICA

Look, I'm going to be quite frank here. You've got something to say, and I deeply respect that. You've got some O.K. poetry here, and although your criticisms are probably overdone, you do a good job with em.

Unfan here is a troll. Trolls are people who make asses of themselves to make you look bad. [....]

Poetry was not meant to change people, but to depict change.

peace,
-nick
Hi, Nick,
Yes, I realize Unfan would probably be categorized as a "troll," but thank you for letting me know just in case I didn't! I don't mind him trying to say things he thinks will upset me in order for him to have fun. I didn't expect him to come anywhere near me after his comment in my introduction thread. Actually, Unfan amuses *me*: I thought his idea of an instrumental song using a washboard and mandolin (and Captain Beefheart sounds) was quite funny, really. He's witty, too, such as when he says the only vegan song he'd like is an instrumental song so that he could completely ignore the message. That one made me laugh!

While many people currently on MB may not like reading about human and non-human animal ethics issues, which inspire almost all my lyrics, this may not be true 1 week from now, 1 month from now, 1 year from now. I can't predict who will join MusicBanter. For every 100 Unfans, there may be one Fan. While many people do not care whether or not they or I eat meat, eggs, etc., some may be interested in this issue.

Nick, I do not agree with this statement: "Poetry was not made to change people, but to depict change." Poetry is made by people and people have all sorts of aims; therefore, poetry can be and sometimes is written to try to change people. The songs and poetry I like best challenge people to question what they think and how they view the world. I would argue that every song changes people...even if only their emotional state.

--Erica

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 08-06-2009 at 06:17 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote