Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #105 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post

The only thing that i noticed was the "you shouldn't" bits in the bridge and some of the verses (it works fine in the chorus). I almost exclusivly avoid "you" in all of my writing, simply because I find that the instant I use it, the audience loses touch. I, for example, don't kill pets by throwing them into dumpsters. I'm not sure if its such a big deal in this song since its directed at a certian organization, its just the only bit i could find something to critisize. I also wouldn't know how you'd go about changing it should u decide to, it was just a thought.
Thanks VeggieLover. Yes, I'd read what you wrote about you's in someone else's thread and agree that they can jolt a listener out of being absorbed in a song. I'll think about variations to avoid the you's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktarist View Post
It's an interesting song--much wider scope than your previous work. I honestly would've approached it completely differently, but that's beside the point. My issue is with length. You may be saying a bit more than you need to here. You want to get to the point without losing the listener to a bunch of disclaimers. So, just play around with that idea and take out lines or stanzas that seem to overstate themselves *if* you take my advice.
Hey, Nick, thanks for the advice...I agree it is too long! I will try to figure out the parts I feel are most redundant so I can make the song more concise. I will hope to end up with two versions...one the original, and one shorter...so then I can still feel my original intent is given life, but also make a version that doesn't drag on and on. I am curious now how you might have approached the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenkin View Post
Take from your lovely mouth that cigarette.
Put down your glass. I don’t want to lose you yet.

For some reason those lines connected with me the most. Its a great song keep up the good work!
Thank you, Ravenkin, for reading! I like those lines, too...written for a particular person. I'm glad you liked the song, and thank you for the encouragement.

--Erica
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote