Music Banter - View Single Post - Radical Feminism *WARNING* There is a pic of Beth Ditto involved
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #44 (permalink)
Barnard17
My home? Discabled,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
had you actually read the Bible (which, in light of this quote of yours, I'm left to assume that you haven't), you'd be well-aware that the Westboro Baptist Church absolutely represents the ideals of "true" Christians. "Fundamentalist", or "literalist" Christianity is, in effect, the only "true" Christianity
Well, yes if you only read the Old Testament. If you read any of the New Testament it largely contradicts a lot of this, starts talking about turning the other cheek and is generally a lot more passive. Fundamentally being a Christian (not that I am one) is about accepting Christ into your life, accepting you're not perfect, trying to lead a good life and asking for Christ and God to forgive your trespasses. You can get hung up on the Old Testament but to do so largely involves ignoring the entirety of the New Testament which is the defining section that turns Judaism into Christianity.

Of course if you'd much rather troll in ignorance and tell people to kill their children and dwarfs you'd be better suited going to a forum discussing Christianity where you can upset people who will passionately give a damn. Or you could actually read the book yourself cover to cover and learn something of what you're talking about instead of hammering in dated clichés.

YouTube - The Chaser's War on Everything: Do you Believe the Bible is True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
The problem arises when these women are ALL thats shown in the media.
The media is beginning to change and improve. It now ridicules anorexic celebs nearly as frequently as fat ones (Renée Zellweger, Amy Winehouse, Mischa Barton, Madonna), referencing British media as that's my experience of it. There are also TV programmes nowadays dedicated to stripping off the obscene amounts of fake tan and push up bras and replacing them with a more naturally feminine look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpVKjbU3F2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
Personally it offends me that the photo of Beth Ditto is such a big deal. Larger women (and men) shouldn't have any more reason to be ashamed of their bodies than anyone else. We're all human!
Fundamentally disagree. The obese and anorexics have eaten (or under eaten) themselves to a point where their own health is at (major) risk, their ability to reproduce is significantly damaged and their appearance is obscene and offensive. Don't get me wrong I would far, far rather a slightly overweight lass in preference to an underweight lass but when you've eaten to the point of such gluttony that you look like Beth Ditto, your cankles don't ... really ... stop ..., your back aches from all the unnatural levels of weight it's supporting and your rolls of fat are vast enough to home a leper colony you really, really should be ashamed and society is doing you a disservice if it isn't reaffirming the fact that if you don't get on an exercise bike you're going to die.

Vita brevis,
Occasio praeceps