Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #3995 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Me and the GF went to the cinema and saw Sam Raimi's "Drag Me To Hell" ..

Wow, what a movie. Christine Brown gets cursed by an old lady (witch) where she's tormented by this ghostly demon for 3 days before it takes her to hell. Of course, she has to deal with the spirit's torments and try to avoid her spooky fate. It's a fairly outlandish plot, but Raimi's effective style and some subtle insertions of humour make it all come together. The movie was actually pretty spooky too! Not the kind of spooks that will make you look over your shoulder when you walk home afterwards, but definetly the kind of spooky which makes for a very exciting film. I felt a bit bad for the GF, though. Being familiar with Raimi's earlier films, I expected something more like Evil Dead 2 and comforted my GF (who didn't want to watch a scary flick) that it was probably more like a horror comedy and that it wouldn't be scary .. She was hiding under my jacket through much of the film. I'm sorry!

Anyways, I thought it was an excellent film, truly refreshing to watch. Those who are familiar with Raimi's earlier films , particularly the Evil Dead trilogy, will notice little tributes, signatures or whatever you call things he's done in his older films .. And I think some of those were deliberately put in to please fans of his Evil Dead movies.

I was pleased! Watch it if you feel like watching an effective, exciting and occasionally funny horror movie.