Music Banter - View Single Post - Is it just me, or does heaven sound like a really horrible place?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Reading extracts from the bible makes it so much clearer just why there are so many different interpretations.

The extracts Unfan posted were very descriptive. I thought I'd check up on wikipedia quickly to see if this city was mentioned elsewhere and I didn't dig around much, but I found this little piece in the article for heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
From the early second century, we have a fragment of one of the lost volumes of Papias, a Christian bishop, who expounded that "heaven" was separated into three distinct layers. He referred to the first as just "heaven", the second as "paradise", and the third as "the city". Papias taught that "there is this distinction between the habitation of those who produce a hundredfold, and that of those who produce sixty-fold, and that of those who produce thirty-fold".
So here, although I saw no biblical source to support it, there are three layers which includes a city. I found the description of the city from Unfan's extracts quite intriguing actually and I thought someone must have tried to paint or illustrate it so I did some clever google searching .. Not much came up, but I found this!

Which is funny because it's almost exactly what I had in mind after reading those extracts.