Music Banter - View Single Post - Yodeling
Thread: Yodeling
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

I think I first encountered yodeling on an old record (yes, one of those large, flat, dark round objects) of the story of "Heidi" complete with lovely songs that I listened to when I was a child.

The only other encounter I've had with yodeling (other than in this thread and an occasional song heard here or there) is through the watered-down yodeling song, "The Lonely Goatherd," from the musical The Sound of Music:

I've always thought yodeling was *supposed* to sound amusing because it has such unusual pitch changes compared to regular speaking, so I've never felt bad about feeling this form of singing (which isn't easy to do well, I feel) is funny and intended to get people to smile. The sound change is unexpected, and often unexpected (but unharmful) things strike people as amusing, like seeing a very tall person and a very short person who just happen to be standing right next to each other. So, I think yodeling sounds funnier when a man does it, because the shift from the more typical low male voice to a very high voice is more startling compared to when a woman with a higher voice to start with suddenly goes up to a higher note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
About a year ago while searching youtube I came across Gitti und Erika. It was love at first site. (I have a crush on Gitti.) They are sisters from Bavaria, and (one of) their first hits was the theme to "Heidi" there's a nice yodel in it.
Their singing is quite pretty. Hehe...I'm wondering, Neapolitan, what draws you to Gitti as opposed to Erica, since to me they look almost completely alike? I must say I find myself feeling a preference for Erica. I don't know why.
--Erica
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote