Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #1490 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOD Father View Post
Looking for bands like Maudlin Of The Well, Sunn O))), Isis, Ulver, etc. that really blew through the ascribed boundaries of metal. I'm sick of the hyper-technical math/metal the kids seem to swear by these days, looking for bands that are truly mind altering...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Bands similar to Ulver:

Arcturus

Good place to start would be their 2002 album The Sham Mirrors

Manes

This is kind of a hard choice because their albums have really differed over the years, much like Ulver so if you liked Ulver's 2000 album Perdition City then I would recommend you check out Mane's 2007 album How The World Came To An End. If you're looking more for a post black metal album then I would say their 2003 album Vilosphe

Solefald

These guys are pretty rare with the fact that they've yet to put out a "bad album". Some have been better than others, but for the most part their discography is pretty solid. Best place to start off with these guys would be their debut album The Linear Scaffold.

Bands Smiliar to Isis:

Cult of Luna

Got into these guys just recently but they do a very good job at creating a sludgy- progressive post doom metal sound. I've only got their 2001 debut album Cult of Luna but I distinctly remember liking it quite a bit.

Neurosis

If you haven't already heard of these guys then I would highly recommend finding a torrent that has their discography because they really are amazing. Their blend of atmospheric post-metal and sludge is really something that can't be topped by any band. If you're looking for something to try out before anything major I would recommend their 1996 album Through Silver in Blood and their 2007 album Given to the Rising because it really shows how they mastered an already amazing sound 9 years later.

Bands similar to Sunn O)))

Earth

Probably the closet band to matching Sunn O)))'s sound in terms of drone doom. Their 2008 album The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull is easily their best work (and one of the best albums of 2008).

Om

Can't say I really know much about these guys, but they sound a lot like Earth who in turn sound a lot like Sunn O))) so they're a good band to try out. I've only heard their 2006 album Conference of the Birds but it was a very enjoyable album for only two songs.

Boris

Another band where I have little exposure to, they have done some work with Sunn O))) so I'm assuming you're already familiar with them. If not then I would recommend their 2007 album Pink for a place to start.

Bands similar to Maudlin Of The Well

The Pax Cecilia

Only one album but it's a pretty impressive post-metal, ambiant, experimental album. It's called Blessed Are The Bonds and it's really the only album I can think that's similar to Maudlin of the Well

Whew, well there's some bands to check out.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote