Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #148 (permalink)
The Unfan
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post

Hey Unfan,

I agree with you that meat has nutritional value and that many people find it tasty. For people who are malnourished and do not have access to synthetic vitamin B-12 or fruits and vegetables, a small quantity of eggs, millk, or meat can help them avoid micronutrient deficiency.
Too much of anything is bad for you.

Quote:
In my previous post I was trying to point out that the ethical question is this: given that people *can* eat all types of animals (including humans)...and have throughout history...how does a particular person decide what or whom s/he feels is ethical to eat? Is it mean to eat someone when we don't have to? Is it unfair to eat someone just because that individual is less intelligent than me? Given that an individual animal's life matters to her or him, to what degree is it unethical to end her or his life to satisfy a taste?

Quote:
Yes, I agree with you that gathering plant foods and hunting animals were both important parts of human diets during human evolution, and biologically we are able to be omnivores. From studies I've read, diets heavy in meats, especially red meats, are not healthful due to the harm caused by excessive cholesterol, saturated fats, iron, and protein in the diet...also cooking meats at high temps creates carcinogens. Several studies link red meat consumption with estrogen-sensitive breast cancer, although it is not clear if this is due to hormones given to cattle in the 70s or due to some of the nutritional downsides of meat consumption. However, well-planned omnivorous and well-planned vegan diets are both healthful.
Pretty much this, but healthy vegan diets usually include pills. Meats are natural for us to consume, its just knowing how to do so in moderation. As noted above, too much of anything is bad.

Quote:
I am intrigued by your "for the most part"...because if I'm interpreting that correctly you are saying that there are some humans whose lives you value less than some non-human animals. This is interesting to me...what qualities does a person have that would make you value that person less than a non-human animal's life?
Sometimes it is important to preserve eco systems and so you have to value animal life sometimes. Basically, some Captain Planet bull****.
The Unfan is offline   Reply With Quote