Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Country Albums
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

Live At Gilley's
Johnny Lee

Though this album was released in 1999, it was actually all of Johnny Lee's live perfomances in Gilley's club from 1980-1988, but when Mickey Gilley and the co-owner of the club weren't getting along, Gilley hoarded the tapes for a while before releasing them. Its actually lucky he did this, because right after he took out the recordings, Gilley's burned down and all of the music would have been lost.

Johnny Lee's two biggest hits (in my opinion) are on this album, "Lookin' for Love" and "Cherokee Fiddle". Both songs were made famous from publicity on the movie Urban Cowboy because of its setting at Gilley's. This album has someting special about it, and I think it is because the music is so genuine. It is this way because of the circumstances in which it was performed, played for everyone live at Gilley's the biggest honky tonk in the U.S at that time.

Johnny Lee's style is very low-key, smooth, and cool. Don't expect any wild wails, intense guitar solos, or anything like that. Johnny Lee keeps a solid beat and concentrates on the words he's singing. His music is actually pretty great to dance to.

1. Lookin' for Love In this song, Johnny simply tells of his struggle to find love and his constant search of someone looking for him.

"I spent a lifetime lookin' for you
Single bars and good time lovers were never true
Playing a fools game, hopin' to win
Tellin' those sweet lies and losin' again.

I was lookin' for love in all the wrong places
Lookin' for love in too many places
Searchin' her eyes, lookin' for traces
Of what I'm dreamin' of
Hoping to find a friend and a lover
I'll bless the day I discover,
You - lookin' for love.

I was alone then, no love in site
I did every thing I could to get me through the night
Don''t know where it started or where it might end
I'd turn to a stranger just like a friend.
"

2. Bet Your Heart on Me
3. Sometimes

4. Cherokee Fiddle
I absolutely love this song. Johnny expresses his unsettling sadness about the changing times. In the beginning, he describes an old fiddle player with a love of music and how he would play for the miners just for whiskey. Then the times change:

"Now the Indians are dressing up like cowboys
And the cowboys are putting leather and turquoise on
And the music is sold by lawyers
And the fools who fiddled in the middle of the stations are gone
"

and he fears that the good genuine music the man played is all but history.

5. Be There for Me Baby
6. One in a Million
7. Prisoner of Hope
8. Pickin' Up Strangers
9. Down and Dirty
10. Highways Run Forever
11. Red Sails in the Sunset
12. Sea Cruise

http://www.mediafire.com/file/e2myn2woojj/Cherokee Fiddle.m4a
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote