Music Banter - View Single Post - Sugar's Musical Reflections
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwSugar View Post
Alkaline Trio - Dethbed

If anyone knows why they spelled the title that way, I’d love to know.

...for some reason, the chorus really hit home for me. I found myself repeating the song for the next half hour, unable to understand what it was about the song that made me feel like breaking down. To this day, I'm not exactly positive what it is that makes me feel that way, it could be something in my past or it could just be a really sad song. Generally, the lyrics above are able to tell an entire story in just a few lines, and I think maybe it was too much for me take in.

Eh. ^_^ Thank you for listening, reading, maybe commenting and criticizing? I’ll post the regular version up so that you at least get a feel for the song if you don’t know it already.
Hi AwwSugar,
Could it be that it is called "Dethbed" rather than "Deathbed" because the protagonist in the song isn't really dead, but rather just feels dead because he was left by someone he loved so much that he felt life wasn't worth living without this person?

I enjoyed the beat of the song very much. My honest response, when I first read the chorus, was "Oh no...this makes me think of that guy I knew during college who was lying down, inebriated, on the lawn in the rain outside my dorm one evening because I didn't want to date him...I just wanted to be friends. He didn't go on to be part of a rock band, did he?!"

My other thought was that the person in the song is very emotionally dependent on the person he is singing about. I hoped someone would help him up, dry him off, and then help him distract himself with life for 6 months, until he gets to the point where he realizes he is better off without this person who left. That being said, it never feels good to feel abandoned...that is a very painful feeling.
--Veg
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote