Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you religious?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #130 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
So Christianity is a religion whose only major requirement for demoniational inclusion is that you have to believed Jesus Christ is the model for morality and the bible is important?
Add to that believing that Jesus was the Messiah and I think you've got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation
I think Christianity is just a word used to describe people who believe in Christ, while the major denominations are the sub-sects of Protestantism. I never said Catholicism wasn't Christianity, I'm saying that Catholicism is a religion and that it just happens to be a Christian religion.
Considering that the Eastern Orthodox Church is the second biggest Christian denomination after the Catholics, you really have your work cut out for you convincing me that the major Christian denominations are all "sub-sects" of Protestantism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation
It's nearly impossible to assign very many tenets or beliefs to "Christianity" as a religion without favoring certain denominational sects whose interpretations on the bible have differed since the beginnings of monotheism.
Welcome the the world of religion. You'll find you run into the same problem with other religions like Islam and Buddhism as well. That doesn't mean their different subsets are different religions. If you want a really convoluted one, trying reading up on Hinduism. Now that's one you'd have a pretty easy time making the "it's not one religion it's many" argument about.

By the way, there's a pretty big irony here with you expressing a concern about "favoring certain denominational sects" while expressing the very Protestant viewpoint that Catholicism is a separate religion from the rest of Christianity.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote