Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rap Artists
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #391 (permalink)
Jester
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
No. A Tribe Called Quest should definitely be in the list, without doubt. They may not have played a part in influencing anything that has ever been hugely mainstream, but they certainly don't sound dated the way Rakim does to me now. Rakim did a lot for influencing mainstream rap that came after him, and is a clear influence in an unbelievable amount of rappers. But ATCQ developed a completely unique jazz rap sound, and along with De La Soul (who I don't consider to be as unique or influential) completely paved the way for alternative hip-hop. And while rap was starting to turn to darker themes and violence, ATCQ made jazzy songs with incredible beats, fantastic samples, and often nonsensical, fun, intelligent lyrics. I'd put them in top 5 for sure, over the Jungle Brothers, who had a much more focused influence and didn't truly open up the new genre like ATCQ.

Just my take. And I don't listen to that much rap, so I could be wrong.
Yes, a LOT of rap rips off A Tribe Called Quest. Maybe they can be in a top 10, but I wouldn't say "without a doubt." I realize that they're very influential, but De La Soul comes first. Yes, I know, Rakim is dated. I said this; I agree. Rakim didn't only influence mainstream rap, man. Like I said, he basically invented modern lyrical technique.

De La Soul comes first because they did it first. A Tribe Called Quest is heavily influenced by them. De La Soul NOT unique? No, man. De La Soul was incredibly innovational. During their time, no one like that existed; rap was in a hardcore state of mind with acts like Public Enemy, etc. De La Soul flipped the game upside down with their jazzy and silly samples, goofiness and intelligent / colorful rhymes. They were one of the most, like, eclectic hip hop groups ever, they expanded heavily (especially on samples and style) - lots of people took after them. Including A Tribe Called Quest. De La Soul are the ones responsible for alternative rap, not ATCQ.

I really, REALLY like A Tribe Called Quest, and I'd put them in like... My top 15, man. They just don't surpass Rakim's influence (but they are MUCH more interesting and lasting), and De La Soul is miles ahead of them.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote