Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rap Artists
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #396 (permalink)
Captain Awesome
On A Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I get that, man. I know that Big Daddy Kane was also experimenting with new techniques, and there were more than just Kane and Rakim. Chuck D was doing it, and no one seems to remember Kool Keith, but he was huge innovator, too. What about a few years later? Pharoahe Monch kicked lyrical technique and flow in the face harder than anyone.

The reason that Kane doesn't come in ahead of Rakim is because Rakim did it first (just a bit, but still), and he was more diverse of an MC. Now, you can say that Rakim didn't exist long enough before Kane to be an influence on him, but by the time Kane had come along, the techniques and ideas were already out there.

Big Daddy Kane is another artist I'd put in a high spot on a bigger list of influential hip hop artists, but I can't see him in a top 10 or higher than Rakim. There's just really no reason that Big Daddy Kane is better than Rakim.
I don't think Rakim released anything spectacular or influencial before Kane did. I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure rakims first majorly lyrical and influential song was in 1987 shortly AFTER kanes underground hit Raw. That's not even considering kanes time spent with the Juice Crew before that. I doubt either rapper influenced the other because they were both evolving their styles at the same time.

Also i'm being extremely biased because although i respect rakim had a lot of lyrical ability and was a talented rapper i just found him incredibly boring. I enjoyed kanes music much more and i still think he's a better lyricist lol.

Anyway, like i said earlier when i made list number 1 i wasn't cosndiering lyrical ability i was considering the artists impact on rap and the hiphop culture. Even if i was to make a list of the top 10 lyricists of all time i don't think rakim would make it in. Despite the fact that he (along with 5 or 6 other rappers at the time) pushed forward the complex lyricism and variety of techniques that has helped progress rap to the next level.

btw did you psot a list? lol

"If we're all merely players in a play on this great stage,
the problem is the script writers ain't on the same page,
I echo through the mountain when I'm singing in the air,
from my lab a lad with lavish lyrics living in his lair."

"Wake up and listen, hear what's not for the public's ears
Pinocchio poets played by profiting puppeteers"
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote