Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Country Albums
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #54 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

Oh the humanity, I can't believe I haven't reviewed this album yet! As my supply of reviews quickly dwindled after the first few pages of this thread, I have racked my brain as to what I should review next that would be fairly interesting. It dawned on me today that I haven't reviewed the most controversial yet genius classic country album, in my opinion of course, that I know in existence. It ran through my mind- I can't shove two Willie Nelson reviews down everyone's throat in a row, but then I thought about it and I really don't care. Partly because you guys need to know about this album STAT, and partly because Willie trumps all. Feast your ears upon......

Stardust

Willie Nelson

What can I say, Willie did in this album what he is known for doing throught his career- taking a brave step in the opposite direction of what is popular or what is expected of his character. Stardust is a jazzy album comprised of simple, soft, and poetic songs- and if you are used to Willie's outlaw music you might even say this album is, dare I say, classy. I greatly admire Willie for taking this unpopular step and testing the limits of his talents while showing us that there is more to this honky-tonk hero that meets the eye. And yet unfortunately but not surprisingly, this album came to a shock to Willie's fans who were used to hearing his music in a much different note, for instance "Whiskey River" and weren't willing for a change. It was these fans who greatly disliked this album and thought Willie was going against his outlaw roots and turning into mush. This album came close to ruining his career. But after the initial shock and awe was over, Stardust was looked at for what the album really was- a masterpiece. And not who made it, or what he was used to making. This album proves that Willie can pull off about anything he puts his heart into, which has always put him a cut above the rest in my eyes.

Stardust challenged Willie's talents in so many ways. His high and unique voice was showcased and pushed to its limits. And that wailing good-timing band that he relies on so heavily, was used in a much different light and pushed completely out of its comfort zone. Willie walked a fine line of genres in this album. Can't really call it jazz, or country, or folk- but an odd mixture of the three, that you can only know by listening. You will also notice he went with an old American classic theme here with the song choices.

Stardust This is song that dates all the way back to 1929 and has been covered by more than twenty different artists and groups over the years. Willie's rendition makes a nice addition to the list, and sets the tone perfectly for the album. He does not try to break you in whatsoever to this un-Willie like style but rather dives right in with a composed demeanor, gentle guitar noodling, and conservative lyrics.

Georgia On My Mind Another classic, and admirable cover. I think Willie puts a nice spin on this song but keeps it just traditional enough for it to sound like what you are used to. And completely clean and uncomplicated I might add.

Blue Skies I love the band's performance in this one, though I think its Willie's more vocally shakey song. Oh, but when you here Willie's trademark guitar steal the show and play a beautifully exotic and upbeat solo, you completely forget about anything else but how uplifted this song makes you feel.

All of Me This is by far my favorite of the album. Love the beginning when Willie plays his guitar and Mickey Raphael plays his harmonica in unison creating a much more country vibe on this one. It has a good swingin beat to it, more so than the others on the album I believe. Willie's vocals don't near so forced in this song and it comes off much more enjoyable to listen to. The lyrics are pretty great too. Here's a little sample
"All of me
Why not take all of me
Can't you see
That I'm no good without you
Take my arms
I want to loose them
Take my lips
I'll never use them
"

Unchained Melody I never was a big fan of this song in general so it isn't one that I dig, to be honest.

September Song This has always been a favorite of fans of this album in the past. Its one of Willie's smoothest and jazziest pieces on the album. Everything about this song is pretty easy going, yet the tone has a bit of saddness about it.

On the Sunny Side of the Street On the other hand this song isn't that great but it works well in the album because it provides a nice contrast from the sad tone of September Song with its more upbeat tone.

Moonlight in Vermont This song is very similar to "Georgia On My Mind" in my opinion. I would almost mistake it for the same song if it wouldn't be for the different lyrics. Its a great song though, nonetheless. I get a strong southern jazz vibe off of this one.

Don't Get Around Much Anymore Another upbeat contrasting piece in the album. Still pretty calm but has a little more bounce in its beat than some of these others.

Someone To Watch Over Me A nice finalle to the album. Some nice harmonica bits thrown here and there in the song that reassures you who exactly is performing this song, even though they aren't ending with "Whiskey River" like Willie and his band do everytime.

Last edited by Flower Child; 10-22-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added vidja
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote