Music Banter - View Single Post - This I Believe There is / is not a God
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #307 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnard17 View Post
Total non sequitur. Please try harder. Love is a personal emotion with no hard and fast definition and depending on the person using the term can mean a range of feeling. God is a distinct, described entity.
I think JesseB5446 was on the right track; in Christianity God is Love. So if he proves one she proves the other.

Quote:
Which I assume you've done of the Koran, Torah, Adi Granth, Dasam Granth, Homer's Odyssey (from a religious rather than narrative perspective), the Shruti and Shmriti?
I think JesseB5446 might know the Torah by another name, The Pentateuch.

Quote:
The problem with Grand Narrative religions is they all assume they're right. I'd rather piss off all Gods and know where I stand than hedge my bets on the wrong one (and, for all we know, the Buddhists have it right so you may as well focus on appeasing your karma rather than chumming up to a deity.) As for my response to God, I'd tell him if his prophets could write a decent book he'd be in with a chance. As it stands even Tolkien was more interesting, and that was very smurfing boring.
Are constucting your own Grand Narrative where you are right and JesseB5446, Christianity and all other religions are wrong?

Quote:
I'd also point out that Marx' writing played an absolutely vital role in the development of the modern world, both by means of politics but also the conditions under which people today live. It's important literature by merit of the effect it has on us in ways that other listed authors such as Nietzsche have failed to achieve. It's also quite ironic your use of Pascal as an example considerate of Pascal's Wager ...
Karl Marx lead to Marxist Writings, Marx Writing lead to Marxist Communism and Marxist Communism lead to Communist Regimes that are responsible for majority of the 20th century democide and genocide. Communism is responsible the more deaths then any political ideology in the history of mankind. Is that what you meant by "vital role?"

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 10-28-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: pronouns
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote