Music Banter - View Single Post - Skill Progression - Self Taught
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Certif1ed
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i think it really depends on the level of theory being discussed.

from my perspective there's basic theory and advanced theory. everyone should understand the basics and it really shouldn't take more than about an hour to grasp. the advanced stuff is for more technically oriented musicians.

as for the basics, major and minor chord shapes, pentatonic scale, barre chord theory and basic note/chord transposition.

then if you want to get into the advanced stuff like modes, triads, and unconventional scales then by all means do it up. i have yet to 'get' why it would be necessary. the only time i felt really inclined to learn advanced theory was when i was still getting off on learning the technicality of the instrument as opposed to just playing it.
It takes MUCH more than an hour to learn all the major and minor chords - the only area I concede is that it might take an hour to get to grips with the pentatonic.

Even barre chords take a while to master.

Triads are hardly advanced - they are the chords we play, and you cannot call yourself a guitarist or pianist if you can't play triads.

On other instruments, triads are the basis of arpeggios, which along with scales are the fundamentals of music writing.

All of these basics are music theory that must be learnt.
Certif1ed is offline   Reply With Quote