Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #160 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senf View Post
Though I don't necessarily believe in what you're writing about, I do think that it's a catchy song and that it's written very well. A song like this needs to be upbeat in order to catch people's attention and you nailed it.

Good job.
Thank you, Senf, for your feedback. I also thought an upbeat song would be best, since the song topic isn't one people may want to hear...which is always the challenge when writing songs like mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwSugar View Post
I'm still not in any way intrigued.
I love what you're writing for, so I stand for it anyway.
I'm glad you removed that avatar.
I guess it bothered me because I KNOW that's going on.
It's the reason I don't eat meat.
So I've sheltered myself into thinking I've fixed everything.
AwwSugar, you tried to read it *again*! Thanks. <3
I think I understand what you want: you gravitate toward songs that feel very free (and so don't rhyme...much, at least) and that are subtle...songs that let you, the listener, discover the meaning as you listen to the song, rather than having it be so obvious from the very start. And you like songs that inspire emotions that draw you into the song rather than push you away. So, maybe that is the reason my more personal song, "I," appealed to you a little more (?)...since it was simply describing my personal feelings/experiences rather than trying to teach a lesson and challenge (so obviously).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktarist View Post
It's catchy, but social sciences define 'wants' as specific needs. (I'm hungry, so I'll eat this etc.) The last line is the only one that is non-refutable. In order to make that stanza work, you have to prove the blood-shed is completely and utterly unecessary.

btw, have you ever read 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel?
Hey, Nick,
Interestingly, I was most concerned about the last line of the "bridge" ("No one needs to make others bleed") because it was the one I thought of refutations to, such as: vaccinating children (while not necessary, certainly very, very advisable), and eating animals when humans live in locations such as the arctic or dry, high grasslands, where opportunities for large-scale plant agriculture are unavailable.

I'm glad you mentioned your issue with "wants" because I had not realized people might feel "wants" mean the same as necessities. I was actually using an "economic" definition of wants (below), but hearing your feedback will cause me to think of other options to using the word "wants."

Quote:
(Wikipedia): In economics, a want is something that is desired. It is said that people have unlimited wants, but limited resources. Each person has wants. You might want a laptop while your best friend may want a desktop computer. Thus, people cannot have everything they want and must look for the best alternatives which they can afford.

Wants are often distinguished from needs. A need is something that is necessary for survival (such as food and shelter), whereas a want is simply something that a person would like to have."
I had heard of 'Life of Pi' but have not read it, so I looked up its summary (on Wikipedia again). An interesting ethical story, that's for sure! Thanks for asking about it...I didn't realize it related to vegetarian ethics issues. I certainly know *I* wouldn't want to be stuck on a boat with a tiger! The story reminds me of a Woody Allen quote that goes something like, "It's just a big restaurant out there" (in nature).

Thanks for reading, Nick. Are you working on a new song right now? I haven't seen anything new in your collection for a while!

--Erica
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote