Music Banter - View Single Post - Skill Progression - Self Taught
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 02:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Certif1ed
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
no. what i'm saying is that you can learn the basics in about an hour. once you have that knowledge you need to practice it, but you don't 'need' someone to hold your hand remind you how to put your fingers to form the C shape everytime you pick up your guitar.
Not every time, but in my experience, many people find the C shape quite hard to master - and the F shape trickier still, never mind B7, so they need "hand-holding" for the first few weeks of learning.

I would suggest it would take most people an hour to get to grips with learning maybe E and A major and minor, and to be able to shift between the two, with D major and minor not far behind.

C and G tend to take longer to master - maybe your experience is different, but unless you live in an area populated by natural guitarists, I would suggest it's unusual.

Then there's B7 and D7, both quite tricky and an hour's worth, and you've spent 4 hours learning chords that will enable you to play in 4 keys.

Those are just about the basics for rock and pop.

Now you have to spend the time learning how to change between the chords - and most people I've come across require frequent reminders.

Quote:
from the theoretical side of things the knowledge is easy to obtain. i'm talking the 8 most common chord shapes, 1 scale, and the reasoning ability to understand how to move the shapes up and down the neck.

so that's 8 diagrams, 1 small tab, and about 2 paragraphs. if it takes anyone more than an hour to understand the knowledge contained within those pieces then they're probably still stuck on learning how to tie their shoes.
Personally, I'd be astonished if they learned all that in an hour. I'm reckoning on weeks.

Quote:
with that minimal '1 hours worth' of knowledge that gives you the shapes for A, C, D, E, G, Am, Em, Dm. the pentatonic scale. along with the understanding of how to move those chords around the neck, using B and F as the simplest examples of how to apply the theory behind transposing shapes.
As I said earlier, C and G are not straightforward chords to learn.

Quote:
at that point, you're pretty much good to go. there's obviously more that can be learned but as far as understanding the basic theory behind playing the guitar that about covers it. with that simple knowledge you can play any chord anywhere on the neck with the ability to determine what that chord is on your own. (max 2 weeks of practicing for the better part of an hour per day)
Amazing, from someone who earlier suggested that theory is irrelevant!

Quote:
i'm not saying triads, modes, and the multitude of other scales possible are worthless, but most definitely dependent upon the basic knowledge and theory i describe earlier.
Triads are chords. Chords are triads (unless they have more than 3 different notes!).

Some modes are very useful to learn, like the omni-present Phrygian in metal.

There's tons of other theory besides modes which is useful to perk up basic playing; suspensions are commonplace and useful to know, even for beginners.

Try playing "American Pie" (a campfire staple, surely) - it uses one. You don't really need to know what it's called, but the simple act of raising and lowering the 3rd is effective and easy to learn.

Another theoretical staple is the tritone - Heavy metal hardly exists without it.

Finally, for any budding soloist, the pentatonic or blues scale is simply a must.

Quote:
basically the 1 hour deal gives you what you need to play the instrument for fun, like a campfire jammer. quite frankly the only other people i've EVER seen discuss the higher level theoretical stuff (especially when it comes to playing guitar) are either shredders, composers, or hung up on the technicality of the music they enjoy.
I still dispute that it'd take an hour to learn 8 chords. 6, maybe, but I reckon C and G are beyond most people who have picked up a guitar for the very first time.

There's plenty of "mid" level theory to learn - it's not a simple split between "The Basics" and "Advanced", and I'd suggest that the pentatonic scale fits into the campfire remit.
Certif1ed is offline   Reply With Quote