Music Banter - View Single Post - Zarko & Bulldog's Trans-Hemispheric Review of the 2000's
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 06:00 AM   #33 (permalink)
Zarko
Barely Disheveled Zombie

Juba Dance – Orange (2007)

This is the first of the albums that take an award in a particular category from this decade. Juba Dance’s Orange takes the cake when it comes to simply being a fun album that sometimes falls into the guilty pleasure category. I will admit that sometimes a lot of my music can come across and dark or overly ‘intellectual’ for the sake of it. Sometimes as a music listener you just need something that cheers you up or puts you in a good mood. We all know jackhammer loves his Fat Freddy’s Drop, and I think this is an apt comparison on a personal level.

Juba Dance is a project headed by Chicagoan Ben Lamar, and I guess you can loosely fit ‘Dance’ into the category of hip hop, however in the same vein it manages to be so much more. The project draws in aspect of electro, funky goodness, as well as afro-beat sounds from South America. All the while Lamar offers his vocals to help push the thing along, but more often than not it’s about the overall picture rather than any single factor that makes the music good.

Tomorrow

So how does the music actually measure up? Well, the opening track, Tomorrow, is a fair indication of the overall charm of the album. It is downright funky, and in the best possible way. Lamar soothing vocals add a nice flair, and the overall laid back tempo gives an allusion to a sunny, vibrant world and lifestyle. The groove is down right infectious after just one listen. This is followed up superbly by Union Hall, a jump-back of sorts to the heavily synth beats of 80’s dancehall. To this, modern elements are added, such as a more prevalent electronic tone, but nonetheless it still feels old school. Everything still feels placid, but in a very cool way.

Union Hall – What did you put in my punch?

Double Dutch Hymns presents the group at their most hip hop in the most recognised sense of the word. The first song to really involve rapping, it’s done fairly well, even if it doesn’t aspire to be anything technically amazing. The bass tones are nice, and the flow works in the context provided. Fisherman’s Jig is probably the biggest change style wise as of yet, the track a quiet and minimalistic latin jazz piece, led by serene trumpeting with some later vocal overlay. It’s a nice reflective piece, and offers a bit of respite to the normal going-on’s through the album so far. The calmness doesn’t last long though, as Favourite Words breaks back into the jazzy hip hop tones with some docile rapping (First time I have ever had those words together I am sure) in an short track that I have come to quite enjoy.

Cachaca follows suit, a deep bass line and spaced out electro beats effectively melding in with Lamar’s vocals. Willow Blues is exactly what the name suggests; a minimalistic blues track, led by a slow picking acoustic guitar with some solemn, field recording singing. Hecky Naw, on the other hand, is a tongue-in-cheek effort that just can’t be taken too seriously with its content matter in a track that is simply smooth in every sense of the word.

Cachaca

You know what… Despite the fact that there is another 5 tracks on the album after Hecky Naw, I am just too relaxed to continue this review. I need a margarita of some sorts. Luckily its summer over here, walk down to the sunny beach with a towel and just let the music seep in. Screw having to think about it – Pump it up and simply enjoy.

Just Enjoy It

Last edited by Zarko; 12-01-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Zarko is offline   Reply With Quote