Music Banter - View Single Post - Chard's Songwriting Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #236 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Hello there again, chard,

I read your piece above ^ which amused me because it seems like a reflective rap song mixed with the blues.

As I've read your poems over the last 6 months, I've wondered if you help yourself find balance and a sense of control over life through controlling the world you create in your poetry. I also wonder, reading your poems, if you describe what is going on in your own life or tend to view others around you and imagine how it would feel to be them.

Here's a question for you that I'm hoping you will answer, if you would like to, chard: what function does poetry serve for you in your life? I used to write poems for many years...poems just for myself that I never shared. Then I felt motivated to reach out to others (leading to my joining MB). What has motivated you to share your poems? I always think it is interesting to learn about other people's motivations and so I am hoping you will share yours, if you wish to do so.

In your poem above, the lines that resonate the most with me are these:
Quote:
All the family have learned just to take take take
none of them have learned to give
I think this is very true about people in general. It is very natural to take and not think about how the actions of taking affect others. When I was a child, for example, I never thought twice about my parents washing my dirty dishes. Now, when I visit them, I would feel shame to leave my dishes in their sink...and so I wash mine and (some) of theirs, too (though the selfish side of me wants to just leave them all in the sink, because I know my parents would wash them for me).

I have heard a few posts sent your direction in which you were told that posting in other sections of MB is required...and I saw you tried a few times...but I am of a different mind than those who feel posting mostly in your thread is not being part of a community. I feel writing poems and sharing them, as you do, is giving, is contributing. Sometimes people may not be so interactive but still value being part of an online community, and that is okay. Yet still, I do wonder...do you prefer to get feedback...is that something you hope for...or are you okay with not having much feedback in your thread? I don't want to skip giving feedback if it is something you would like, chard.

I imagine you living in a quaint cottage with a small garden surrounded by a picket fence. The dark green leaves of chard and some nice English herbs, warm and fragrant in the sun, are growing in that garden. You are inside the cottage, looking out through the window as you glance up from your computer. I am a distant neighbor who has seen you at your window on many occasions. Now, to your surprise, I am walking up your flagstone path and have brought you some cake as a belated housewarming gift...something for you to munch on as you reflect on life and people.

Of course, I don't really have any cake to give you...just words. And here they are.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote