Music Banter - View Single Post - This I Believe There is / is not a God
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #441 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
You don't need to feel the law of identity. The law of identity can only be argued by being presented as itself. How is that not a logical argument. It is the basis of what constitutes logic.

What is outside of logic in rationality is no longer thought. When one decides to make life decisions by rolling the dice, he is not using his consciousness to decide. That is why we say he is not thinking about the decisions, but instead gambling.

Emotions and feelings arise out of the subconscious. They are not conscious decisions. It is still a gamble to choose on feelings because you are negating your consciousness.

The bottom line is, the only way to think consciously is to use reason and logic. The axioms that are established here, such as the law of identity, are established because they yield progress. You can't build a bridge questioning the law of identity. In fact, if you truly question the law of identity then you won't be anything. You will be voluntarilly unconscious.

The plague of post-modern philosophy is that they overcomplicated things. "Overcomplicated" may be a bad word to use, but what I mean is that they propose to be free thinkers, and in doing so they abandon the actual thinking process. They question ideas such as whether consciousness can be proven without using your consciousness. They either ask for this to be proven or they just give up and say that it can't. It can't, and the answer most have is to fall back on abandoning their consciousness in the hopes of some sort of transcendence. However, reverting to the subconscious shows the exact opposite results. If there is any hope of transcendence it must involve the use of rationality and logic, the consciousness.

tl;dr: One can only express A=A in the way it is expressed, but that doesn't make it less true. If anything, the questioning of it only further suggests that we need to have axioms. Otherwise we fall into uselessness.
i understand what you are saying, but i think i agree more with ca. logic does aid us in our day to life and of course in gaining knowledge and experience. however, being thoroughly convinced of a certain belief or religion, it takes a moment of pure unconscious realization. i can only justify this in pointing out many people who consider themselves to be atheists only to be "born again" into christianity.

i feel like on a smaller scale, we all feel this. like a problem you can't solve only to have the solution smack you in the face in a moment of clarity...an epiphany, if you will.