Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

As far as voting "no," I have to pull out two quotes from Elvis Costello, because they summarize my feelings perfectly:

"I hate people like Led Zeppelin, not because they're total charlatans and thieves, but because it actually offends me...the whole crotch-thrusting element."

"There are two kinds of rock and roll that are artistically bankrupt to me. One's the wimpy, "fuck me, I'm sensitive" Jackson Browne school of seduction, and the other is "Look at me, I've got a hairy chest and a big willy!" Led Zeppelin type."

Apart from any idealistic offenses, I can't say that I enjoy their music. There are bands with poor ideas and no real merit (ELO comes to mind), but I enjoy some of their songs. I haven't heard a single Zep song that I even remotely enjoy listening to. I don't care for screechy vocals and guitar solos. The fact that their music represents a school of rock that I personally detest isn't the reason why I don't like them, but it doesn't help much either. I think the world would be better off if Stairway To Heaven was never played again, but hey, that's just me.