Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #50 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
It's 'Than' lol. In all seriousness. Kudos to you. JD are not for everyone and if they get left off the list for a good reason then I will hold my hat up. Basing their faults upon Zeppelin merits doesn't provide a good comparison to me. Both are British bands. Both influenced many bands. Unfortunately Zep influenced probably one of the worst genres ever in modern music-'**** Rock': Music that is based upon lyrical content, image and ideology.

Joy Division promoted introspection, lyrical revalance and art as communication and not a meal ticket. However, Zeppelin understood the nature of music perfectly and honed their craft to become an almost elemental force. Music is one of mans more baser needs and they tuned into that succinctly. Zeppelin were absolutely awesome at what they did....unfortunately some people prefer introspection to outrospection and that is where the problem lies.
^ If I quoted posts for my signature, i'd use this one.

Music is absolutely a primal need, Joy Division deserves consideration based on their influence, but just as Zeppelin can not be excluded solely because they influenced bad popular music, Joy division can not be included solely because they influenced thoughtful (although good is sometimes debatable) music.

My biggest question is: ARE TWO ALBUMS ENOUGH TO GET YOU IN?