Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #58 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Are you saying that it is an invalid post? If so I am very dissapointed. In the UK we heard many prototypes of zep before our American friends had heard of them. Cream, John Mayall, Blind Faith, Fleetwood Mac, Rory Gallacher, Jeff Beck were all making music that shared many attributes with Zeppelin at that time and I prefer each and everyone to Zep. Zeppelin are a blues rock band that managed to capture the zeitgeist and achieve massive success. They were great at what they did. Unfortunately what they did was in many ways old hat in the UK.

"Yeah but they achieved massive success and sold so many albums"...so did MJ, Whitney Houston and Huey Lewis. Does'nt mean you are better than everyone else.

Joy Division have created a similar reverence to Zeppelin and it only took two albums to achieve this.
Not at all, I would quote it as an homage, I have seen what your talking about though, should have clarified. I agree 100% with everything in said post.

But in response to what you said now, all personal preferences and technicalities aside, Led Zeppelin is the total package. The acts you mentioned are similar but not on Zeppelin's level. Critically acclaimed in their time, and even more so now. Commercially one the ten best selling artists ever worldwide, tops in the HArd rock genre ever. The second most influential (regardless of quality) band (behind the Beatles) on future generations ever.

Look I rarely get into this discussion because it frustrates me but, Led Zeppelin live is unlike anything else I have ever experienced in music, and there are not many who saw those shows from 1970-1975 that would argue or have a differing opinion. It wasn't because they were the first to as another poster put it "F*** the S*** out of the Blues" or wrote the best songs or played the best type of music, it was because they did what they did in a way that spoke to millions and millions of people, no one else has to like it, enough people already do to make the point.