Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #239 (permalink)
Piss Me Off
Moodswings n' Roundabouts

The Beatles are in by a landslide.
Next up by monsieur boo boo

Yes

Yes were one of the most ambitious and innovative bands of the 70s and they were pioneers in the progressive rock genre. The band has had several lineup changes, and thus have been through several evolutions throughout their 40 year existance.

Yes brought many unheard of elements into rock music. The band consisted of classically trained musicians of virtuoso level abillity, all with a diverse range of influences. Yes were heavly influenced by classical music, jazz, folk, pop, music hall and even motown. They had verry little trace of blues in their music, which was extremely rare for a rock band.

Yes at a time, had one of the most unique and defined sounds of any rock band, along with Zep, The Who, Black Sabbath, Queen, Cream. Yes were one of the finest ensembles in rock. Jon Andersons trademark, soft spoken falsetto vocals and rather bizarre mystical lyrics, Steve Howes unique blend of jazz, country and classical guitar combined with his innovative use of effects as well as his use of several other instruments, Chris Squires distinctive distorted bass sound and intricate melodicism, Rick Wakeman who is the greatest keyboard virtuoso in rock and Bill Bruford, a drum god that rivals Neil Peart. That along with the artwork of Roger Dean gave them a very special indentity in the early 70s and they are considered one of the ultimate nerd bands, with an incredibly loyal fanbase. Not to mention they are one of the most influencial bands in progressive rock.

Oh, that and they were just plain awesome.

Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape