Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #822 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

On who? Funnily enough folk music has been self sustainable on both sides of the Atlantic before and since NMH. Now i know they have built up a big fanbase over the last few years and that is to be applauded if not utterly perplexing. However this is a hall of fame thread and I have rarely heard this bands name being held up as a shining beacon of influence and/or innovation. John Martyn doe folk 100X better IMO but I would never make a case for him as he is just damn good at what he does and has never set the world on fire.

This is what many members are trying to say. It's not merely the fact that they do or dont like their music. It's a case of sustained brilliance, innovation or influence. Hell, The Residents beat many here hands down for that.

P.I.L did'nt make it in. Even though they are influential and virtually created a whole sub genre, Urban did'nt bleat when they did'nt get in. I actually voted no for them too as I'm not a huge fan. NMH may be very good at what they do. Unfortunately what they do is not exactly what set's the musical world on fire.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”