Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #829 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I wasn't really trying to imply that.

What I mean is nobody would have considered them hall of fame material had that one album had not suddenly been hyped through the stratosphere a couple of years ago.
Yes, but you feel that way because you dislike it. "Overhyped" always translates to "I don't like it, but lots of people say it is great."

I, personally, think PIL is massively overrated from a musical perspective, but I don't call those who like them "sheep." I understand that many people legitimately think PIL was great and groundbreaking musically, and I respect that even if I thoroughly disagree. By the same token, I believe that ITAOTS is hyped because many people legitimately like it.

Also, "a couple of years ago?" I've been hearing about NMH and ITAOTS as an indie classic for the better part of a decade now. I don't agree, but the hype definitely didn't start a couple of years ago.