Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #2107 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

So here's my experience with Tool.

I first heard of them in the early 90s when they were basically written off as a third rate industrial band. I heard a couple of songs & thought 'Hmm, they sound like a third rate industrial band'. So I ignored them and they fell off my radar.

Fast forward to 2000/2001 when I first came online and I seem to run into all these people who seem to rate this band highly. At first I thought it was pretty funny that these people were hero worshipping some run of the mill early 90s band. So you could imagine my shock and subsequent laughter when I realised they were now being hailed as alternative rock gods. Anyway to shut people up and to find out what all the fuss was about I listened to both Aenima & Lateralus and was staggered by the sheer amount of mind blowing indifference I held towards them both. To me it just sounded like a bunch of generic sludgy metal riffs with some idiot mumbling & screaming over them. I didn't even think it was done in an interesting way.

To me Tool are a gateway band in the same way like a band like My Chemical Romance are. Like when you're a kid you listen to pop music and then you decide you like a band like My Chemical Romance and then all of a sudden you think you're into punk or something. Tool are like that, Tool are like a gateway band for kids who listen to cheesy power metal and think guitar playing speeds are the most important things in music into things that are not as cheesy and maybe something a bit more cerebral, IE proper music.

And on a side note it's interesting to note that a lot of the Tool fans I knew from around 9/10 years ago who were in their late teens/early 20s went on to become jazz bores later in life.

I voted no.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.