Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #2214 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I'd just like to add that when I say that I admired her because she was female in a rock band, I don't mean to say that girls deserve extra credit because of their gender. Females shouldn't get extra kudos just because they are female, because then it kind-of comes out as saying that girls are rubbish at music so any girl who manages to make some kind of audible noise on an instrument deserves credit.

I meant that in the late 70s - 80s especially, although still today, rock music is generally a domain still dominated by men and for a long time in history it was not often that you saw a gutsy and determined girl rock out on stage with such passion and making such noise. Also as a female myself, seeing Kin in Sonic Youth made her an icon much more relatable to me than any other male rockstars.

(Engine, I'm not criticising anything you said, in fact I agree with you entirely, but your post just reminded me that I should just make this known! )
Yea everything you said is what I meant by 'extra credit'. It really doesn't matter about the politics of the situation - what you said about Kim Gordon is simply true and it makes her that much more appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Moore View Post
It's the picture on the inside of the little booklet you get in a CD when you buy Daydream Nation. I'm glad I found it online, because it took me a while to find it.
This is why I'm (sort of) glad I didn't grow up with the internet and access to all the free music I want. It did take years to amass them but now I've got over 1,000 of those little booklets and I treasure a lot of them.