Music Banter - View Single Post - Gothic Americana/ Alt-Country/ Dark Cabaret
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #198 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Uh uh nobody knocks this thread off to the 2nd page!!!

So I found out that both Strawfoot and The Builders & The Butchers had new albums out in 2009 yet they seemed to escape my ever vigilant watch. Picked up both of them today, however as I've already made an entry in this thread for Strawfoot I've decided to dedicate this post to The Builders & The Butchers.

The Builders & The Butchers

I was aware of them before this album came out, in fact a few months ago someone was kind enough to send me their self-titled debut album, however I was less than impressed with it. It wasn't nearly dark enough for me to consider it to be "Gothic" by any stretch of the imagination, and the production was severely lacking. Despite all that I decided to keep it and attempt a third and fourth listen later down the line to see if I could get into them. Well thanks to their new album, I won't have to put my ears through that kind of punishment because their sophomore album is far superior in every way, shape, and form.

First thing's first, the album art does a very good job at foreshadowing what one would expect to find in the lyrics and music. This album takes a far darker tone than it's predecessor, both lyrically and musically. An album doesn't have to be exceedingly dark or sinister for me to enjoy it, however I have a darker personality so it does make the experience more enjoyable if an album has a demented twist to it.

The second thing that really makes this album stand out is the more professional production value on it. For bands in the Gothic Country and related subgenres, it can be quite difficult to get into a good studio to help polish your sound. Their first album suffered from this unfortunate and unfair affliction of the music industry, however persevering through the hard times they were able to get into a decent studio and really show us what they can do.

Anyways I thought so highly of this song that I decided to put it up on my Youtube account, so enjoy! IF you like the song and wish to try the rest of the album, you know what to do... and if you don't then PM me.

LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote