Music Banter - View Single Post - The Streetwaves 55
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #39 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetwaves View Post

15. Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk
Overshadowed by Trout Mask Replica and ignored by those turned off by it, Safe as Milk remains one of the 60s' hidden gems. A record brimming with musical ingenuity, it's here that for the first time we are given a brief glimpse of the madness that is to come, but all the while maintaining an accessibility that is sure to work better for those who found Trout Mask Replica to be too strange. In my opinion this is the better record of the two anyway, and it's in my top five. Listen to 'Electricity'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetwaves View Post

16. Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
I read somewhere that this was a sort of modern Trout Mask Replica, but I think it has a little more in common with Safe as Milk. Where Trout Mask Replica immediately assaults its first-time listener, Safe as Milk draws you in with familiar sounds and throws in a few curve-balls along the way. It's a good formula, and I think that's what the Modern Dance does too to, albeit with more curve-balls. Some may be lost along the way by the more challenging tracks, but there's always something in there to bring you back. And all it takes is a few listens until you realize it's all brilliant. A masterfully realized album from start to finish.
Two absolutely immense albums there and, funnily enough, two I haven't listened to in a ridiculously long time. Easily one of the most consistent list threads I've seen on the boards this - top stuff
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote