Music Banter - View Single Post - Where do I start with the whole genre of Jazz?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by x Cheez iT View Post
Alright I am listening to Kind Of Blue right now, and it is exactly what I'm looking for.
It has to be one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x Cheez iT View Post
I kinda of feel intimidated by it all which may sound stupid but I mean it in the sense that it seems like there is so much out there from the regular jazz to this fusion that tore mentioned, which I'd like to definitely check out too.
As a quick reference, should I check Allmusic.com for the artists mentioned, and just check out all their 4-5 star rated albums? Or would that not be a good route to take?
Seriously, Mile Davis' Bitches Brew is far and away the best fusion album ever recorded and pretty close to being the only album from the sub-genre really worth owning. Check it out. You'll be happy you did.

I still go through various websites "top 100 jazz albums" lists. Like most things of that nature there's usually some stuff that's grossly overrated, but it is a great way to feel out the genre expecially considering how huge it is.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote