Music Banter - View Single Post - Where do I start with the whole genre of Jazz?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
brighambartol
Groupie

haha, tough question. The funny thing about Jazz is that there's way more to it than people think. If you like traditional jazz, listen to the standards. The more you listen, the more you realise there's so many subgenres and types and styles.

If you really want to do you research, there are certain names you should know. First, the great female jazz singers: Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan. Then there are certain jazz composers you should give a listen: Miles Davis, John Coltrane... but there's still a big difference between big band jazz and jazz trios, between latin and funk. It's such an ecclectic genre. Some jazz is just simple 2-5-1 progressions, other jazz is really technical crazy stuff.

Personally, I like jazz guitar. So I listen to guys like Joe Pass and Pat Martino.

If you like more contemporary stuff like jazz fusion, listen to guitarists like John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Mike Stern, or bands like Weather Report.

If you like the smooth stuff, listen to Larry Carlton.

Anyway, if you can follow my crazy ramblings at all, I hope that gives you some names to start with. This is all jsut my advice, these are the people I like and think are important. Another bit of advice - if you want to discover music YOUTUBE IT XD