Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #2326 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaSho View Post
If any hip-hop artist deserves it, it's him. Hell yes.
God damn right.

I don't have time to read through the commentary here, but I could guess what it says. I'm pretty sure the blowjobs came out of the wood work to say this wasn't de la soul, or some other hipsters approved horse****. but they are, of course, blowjobs and when they hit 40 and look back on a life of posturing, Their "no" vote among many other things will be deemed regretable.

Biggie had a few things slated against him. For one, P. Diddy produced his albums. Nothing to say there, the man likes Mase, he ought to be run out on a rail.

Secondly, he came out in '94 when supposedly the Bob Dylan of rap, Tupac (who sucks), was ruling the scene. So he's naturally knocked a peg down from hype alone.

But Biggie was a storyteller. You get the idea that innovation was second to making the scene. If Tupac was Dylan, Biggie was Fitzgerald paiting broadscenes of a distopic NYC depraved of all its merit through flash over substance.

Its easy to take the man as another wave-rider on the tsunami brought by NWA, but "gangsta" wasn't something he picked up on to pay bills, its something he was immersed in. With all due respect to Compton, Califnoria has its booming metropolises. NYC in the Reagan years was depraved and ghastly. Tupac backed up the Digital underground, and then chose to portray a crack dealer. You got the impression that biggie sold coke to feed his kids, and chose to narrate his life on record.

His career certainly wasn't prolific, but what he put out is a dark retelling of glittering, big-city streets filled with the lost souls of the damned. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to give way to a bunch of snark-encrusted morons to post Juicy lyrics.

If I wasn't in the rap game
I'd probably have a key knee deep in the crack game
Because the streets is a short stop
Either you're slingin crack rock or you got a wicked jumpshot
****, it's hard being young from the slums
eatin five cent gums not knowin where your meals comin from